Most of the students feel that only geniuses can do maths or they tend to think that solving math problems is an innate skill. But this general preconception about the subject is actually wrong. The real fact is that anyone can be good at maths. Students can basically acquire better math skills or fluency if they follow the right strategies. Math is one subject where students can improve their skills with practice and some determination.
Notably, getting better grades in math is not that difficult. Students just need to rearrange their priorities, mindset and their approach to the problems. With that in mind, here we have put together some useful tips that can help students get better at solving mathematical equations and understanding core concepts.
- Students need to have a positive mindset and accept the challenge of learning maths instead of being intimidated by the subject. The trick usually happens in the mind so when students broaden their understanding and become confident, math becomes easy. Take for instance, if students come across complex topics like trigonometry formulas they should be confident and think that maths is easy. If you think maths is hard in your mind then you will probably not get better at the subject.
- An area where students usually miss out is in understanding the basic or the core concepts first. Instead of memorizing the concepts, students should fully understand the concepts and then apply it to solve various problems.
- Creating maths dictionary, flashcards, notes can be helpful as they will help remember important points and concepts.
- The easiest way to develop better maths skills is to apply maths to real-world problems. Students can engage themselves in a practical application like measuring time, distance or predicting the outcome of a game, cooking etc. This can help a lot.
- Students should do all their assignments properly as it will help them practice and easily master concepts like conversion of units that was taught in class earlier. Furthermore, students should also review their errors and try to get a solution for it. This will help them significantly get better at maths.
- While we have already said few points above, the most important step that students to need to follow is the art of practice. We have often heard practice make perfect and this statement holds true in this regard. Students can set a dedicated timetable for practicing maths. Apart from the homework and textbooks, students can find a lot of maths resources online to practice.
These are some of the tips students can follow in order to develop better maths skills and be on top in the class.
Meanwhile, students can subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube channel to learn about the different maths concepts and more. They can also have a glimpse of how BYJU’S app is changing the way students learn.